Subject: Information Assistance Memorandum – “Operation S-O-T”
Thank you for “Supporting Our Troops” by volunteering to fill a “Troop Support Box”. These boxes will be distributed to service members serving under harsh conditions and in harms-way. This effort was initiated by the Sarasota Chapter of the Military Officers Association of America (MOAS) but relies on community support to provide the depth necessary to make it successful. We have a website, www.sarasotamoaa.com/support-us, which provides all the information you, or your clubs, schools, etc. would need to send packages or to financially support this program.
The “kit” provided consists of the following items:
1. This Information Assistance Memorandum.
2. A United States Postal Service APO/FPO Priority Mail “Flat Rate” Box, identified with the additional logo: “AmericaSupportsYou.mil” We recommend these free boxes because they are the cheapest way USPS will ship, irrespective of weight, at $17.35. Special note:
Postal rates are subject to change by the USPS.
3. A list of Suggested Care Package Items to place in the box. Emphasis is on personal items and soldier support items. Keep a list and cost of items purchased for the Customs Form.
4. A Pre-printed address mailing label. Before mailing a box, go to our website at www.sarasotamoaa.com/support-us, scroll down the page and click on the link “Where to Send” to make sure the name printed on the label is still active.
5. A note introducing the Sarasota chapter of the Military Officers Association of America as the effort behind the box mailings. (Optional but encouraged.)
6. Customs Form (Form 2976) with direction. If you have not been provided one you may pick it up at the Post Office when you mail the package. Custom forms can be completed on line at www.usps.com
The address label is to a designated senior individual of the respective unit, and the Box will be distributed to soldiers in the unit. Please peel off and firmly attach the label to the box in the lower right hand corner. If you have a friend or relative who is deployed and wish to send he/she a box, please use this kit and tailor the box(s) and address to the service member you have in mind. If you wish to send multiple boxes, the Post Office has them available (free).
The Sarasota MOAA note we ask you to place in the box is a good place to add a personal note with your address and/or email. Avoid any comment on the geo-political aspects of their effort; we remain apolitical, and are doing this because we support the individual service member, not dialoging about the pro’s and con’s of national policies.
Once everything is included, seal the boxes with approved sealing tape, ensure your address label is firmly attached, add your return address, and complete the Customs Form (an example is on the back of the “Suggested Care Package Items” list. When using Form 2976, you can list similar items on the same line, e.g., books, magazines, shaving cream, razors, toothpaste, chips, crackers, pretzels etc. Check two boxes on the Customs Form: #5 Gift. Take the box to the Post Office for Priority Flat-Rate type mailing. It is requested that you ship your box within 2-4 weeks
due to the fact the addresses may change due to combat operations.
Individuals who desire to make a financial contribution to the Support Our Troops Program should make their checks payable to the Sarasota Military Officers Scholarship Fund, Inc. (SMOSF), an IRS 501(c)(3) charity, which serves as the outreach arm of the MOAS. While any donations are appreciated, it is estimated that $50.00 will be the upper limit on preparing and shipping a box and as such is a good multiple for donation purposes. Please indicate on the Memo line that the contribution is for the Support Our Troops Program. Your contributions will be used exclusively for the SOT program. The SMOSF's Federal Tax Identification Number is 65-0883860 and the SMOSF is registered with the Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services, Registration Number CH19841. A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE (800-435-7352) WITHIN THE STATE. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE.
Send checks for our “Operation S-O-T” to the following address:
MOAS Operation S-O-T
COL Christopher F. White – US Army, Retired
3657 Oak Grove Drive
Sarasota, FL 34243
On behalf of all our service men and women, we extend a sincere “Thank You.”
Revised May 15, 2017