SCHOLARSHIP AWARD PROGRAM CRITERIA
The MOAS scholarship program, was established in 1998. Over the years the program has grown and evolved to address the award recipients' needs. Our present program addresses the needs of high school seniors enrolled in the JROTC program and those deserving to be recognized for their outstanding academic accomplishments. Scholarships are being awarded to graduating seniors at Booker High School, Cardinal Mooney Catholic High School, Pine View School, Riverview High School, Sarasota High School, Sarasota Military Academy and Suncoast Polytechnic High School.
Our high school scholarships have helped students from all walks of life with their college needs. Scholarship winners have been students bound for the Service Academies, rural and urban students, abandoned children, students living with friends and young women trying to break the bonds of poverty.
Scholarship winners will be advised in writing of their award. The awards letter will instruct the recipient as to the requirement to furnish the Scholarship Committee chair proof of enrollment (not an acceptance letter) from the college, university or technical school they will be attending. When these documents have been received the check will be issued and presented at the awards dinner on May 17, 2019 at the Bird Key Yacht Club or, if unable to attend, mailed to the winner at his or her home of record. If the scholarship winner has not complied with this requirement by January 31st of the following year, the award will be forfeited. Completed applications must be submitted to the Scholarship Committee chair no later than:
DEADLINE - 12:00 NOON, 31 March, of each year.
The high school program provides deserving local youth a financial jump-start on their post high school education. For the purposes of the scholarship program, post high school education is defined as enrollment in an accredited college, university or technical school (online programs do not qualify for the scholarship). In 2014 the MOAS Board of Directors approved a scholarship program for honorably discharged returning veterans attending accredited local colleges and technical schools. These veterans scholarships are needs based and are awarded in coordination with local education institutions financial aid offices.
- One (1) each JROTC scholarship for a senior at Booker, Riverview, Sarasota and Sarasota Military Academy and Venice High School;
- Eight (8) merit scholarships open to any senior in schools located in the greater Sarasota area. These scholarships consist of four (4) merit scholarships underwritten by MOAS and four (4) underwritten by the William E. Schmidt Foundation. A senior member of the school’s academic department must endorse the school's scholarship applications; and
- Should a JROTC scholarship or a MOAS merit scholarship not be utilized due to non-submission, non-selection or ineligibility of the nominee, the scholarship money may be reallocated by the Scholarship Committee.
1. An applicant must have a minimum of 3.0 GPA;
2. If a student has taken the SAT’s, he or she must have a Minimum SAT score of 1,000 (out of a maximum of 1600) to apply for a Sarasota Military Officers Scholarship. Any student submitting an ACT score must have a minimum score of 22 (out of a maximum of 36);
3. Super Score - A student may create a Super Score;
4. Complete the Application in full; and
5. Attach copies of all documents enumerated on the bottom of page 4 of the application. This will include Official Signed transcripts.
The Scholarship Committee chair will visit each area high school to advertise and promote the program. In addition, letters will be sent to each school guidance counselor and Senior Army Instructor (SAI) to focus their attention on the opportunities available to their students.
REMEMBER: Completed applications must be submitted to the Scholarship Committee chair no later than 12:00 pm March 31st, of each year.